Thursday, December 19, 2013

The art of packing your life into boxes: Part 1

Hello dear friends!

It is getting so close to the new year! It is a time for new semesters to start, a fresh new outlook on life, and it also means that the date of me moving to Georgia is approaching. Needless to say, I have started to pack now, to save me from a panicked packing later.

It's not that I have a lot of things that I need to bring with me for the next 8 months. It's the fact that I need to determine what I can live without for the next 8 months. Surprisingly I have already determined that 80% of the things from college (which, let's face it, is what I am talking about, I haven't even touched the corner of my parent's garage that is my stuff from when I was younger) is unnecessary for me to bring along to Americorps.

What remains is suggested things to bring on the packing list.
I will name a few and discuss why it has made my life more difficult that naught.

Books:
Do they know how many books I own? There is a box in my grandparents garage that contains most of them (and yes it is VERY heavy, thus the problem that I am having with decisions) Seriously though, I determined that I can bring maybe 10 books, but that is like asking a parent to pick their favorite child. What if I meet someone who would appreciate John Green but has never read any of his books? What if I meet someone who needs a little perspective? I have a solid 6 books that could do the trick depending on what it is they need perspective on. I also have the books that I need to peruse before I start grad school. I am sure that there is a nearby library that will become my best friend and I can buy digital books too, but there is nothing like holding a book that is yours on a summer afternoon drinking tea and reminiscing with familiar characters on an adventure. (If you disagree you are a heathen and I can no longer be friends with you.)

Movies:
This isn't nearly as hard as the books, but there is a lot to say about a movie that people can gather around, watch, and nerd out over (and let's face it, nerding out can mean singing along with Mary Poppins, relishing classic 80s movies with people who haven't seen them, or watching a cult favorites like Monty Python) I can actually bring more than 10 with me since they don't weigh as much as books but I don't want to bring all of them with me. (Big Bang Theory and Doctor Who are coming with me no matter what the decisions are I love them both too much to leave at home)

Craft supplies:
They said to bring supplies that you may need for seminars (I am sure that they can purchase things if I need them) but seriously, if you know me, what is the first thing that I do if I am bored? I craft stuff. I look into my three tired bin of magic and pull random things out and make beautiful things and give them to people. I make cards when people are sad/happy/done something/done nothing just to see a smile on their face. I am sure that I can throw out some stuff, but I don't want to. Once I use stuff up, it's gone. I don't buy more unless it is necessary (which typically it isn't)

Nostalgic things:
i.e Posters, camp stuff, my cork board, and the little things that sat on top of my wire shelving  unit. Some stuff I have already decided not to take (mostly posters but rest assure I am taking a couple that are important to me) and my cork board is something that I will not need per-sea so I can leave that. But camp things and the little things from the top of my wire shelf are important and need to be decided upon because I cannot and will not bring them all but each have something that helped me through the day while in college.
The camp things are incredibly important. I cannot be at camp this summer which makes me very sad and I need them. Thank goodness that camp things are mostly just manila envelopes which don't take up a lot of space.

As I pack away some memories I am excited to create more in the next 8 months.


As always,
Love and Hugs

-Kylie      

No comments:

Post a Comment